Issue - meetings
Pay Policy 2016/17
Meeting: 25/01/2016 - Cabinet (Item 91)
Councillor Adrian Jones presented a report by the Acting Head of HR and Organisational Development which reminded Members that the Localism Act 2011 detailed the requirements for Councils to determine and publish annual pay policy statements. The requirements of The Localism Act included:
· The Pay Policy Statement to be approved by Full Council, in advance of the financial year to which it relates.
· The Pay Policy Statement to be published on the Council website.
The Pay Policy Statement was required to set out the Council’s policies relating to the following:
· Chief Officer Remuneration, including salary, allowances, and enhancements at termination.
· Remuneration of its lowest paid employees.
· The relationship between Chief Officer Remuneration and that of other employees.
Councillor Adrian Jones informed that the Council was one of the first ones in the country to adopt the ‘Living Wage’. As a consequence of this low wage earners on Wirral had been better off. From 1 April 2016 they would receive £8.25 per hour, an increase of 40p. This would cost the Council £84,000 in the next Financial Year, an amount that would be included in the budget.
Councillor Phil Davies reported that he was proud that Wirral was one of the first Council’s to adopt the ‘Living Wage’ for its work force. He believed that, morally, it was the right thing to do and he hoped that other employers on Wirral would follow suit.
(1) the introduction of the revised National Living Wage rate of £8.25 per hour, effective from 1 April 2016 be agreed; and
(2) the Council be recommended to approve the Council’s Pay Policy Statement for the Financial Year 2016/17.