Issue - meetings
Climate Change Annual Report and Action Plan
- Enc. 1 for Climate Change Annual Report and Action Plan, item 31 PDF 1 MB
- Enc. 2 for Climate Change Annual Report and Action Plan, item 31 PDF 66 KB
- Webcast for Climate Change Annual Report and Action Plan
Bryan Lipscombe, Sustainability Liaison Officer, introduced a report which presented an annual update on climate change action in Wirral. It included a brief overview of:
· The latest international and national developments pertinent to action on climate change;
· The activities of the Cool Wirral Partnership (formerly Wirral Climate Change Group);
· The latest ‘Cool Steps’ report, produced by the Cool Wirral Partnership, detailing recent progress with the climate change strategy up to the end of July 2018;
· The priority action plan developed by the Cool Wirral Partnership to help progress implementation of the strategy in its final year; and
· Plans to develop a new framework to replace the present strategy.
Responding to comments from Members, Bryan Lipscombe reported that with regard to planning issues to build houses to a higher ecological standard, demanding more than the current regulations, the Council would have to demonstrate the viability of the market to sustain this. There had not been a detailed consideration of how Brexit might affect the Strategy as the Council’s aim was to deliver on its current climate change strategy and Action Plan.
In respect of the Cool Wirral Partnership, and engagement with partners he reported that Merseytravel was previously represented on the climate change group but they had not been sending representatives recently, although they did still receive invitations.
Members expressed their disappointment at this and suggested that the Partnership should try and re-engage with the Merseytravel Committee of the Liverpool City Region. Another Member suggested that the Bus Alliance could be approached also.
(1) That the work of the Cool Wirral Partnership and the progress outlined in the report to implement the Climate Change Strategy, be noted.
(2) That it be recommended to the Cabinet Member that the ‘Cool Steps’ annual progress report, appendix 1 to the report and the Priority Action Plan, appendix 2 to the report, be formally endorsed and used to meet the Council’s Climate Local commitment.