Issue - meetings
Draft Calendar of Meetings for the 2019/20 Municipal Year
Meeting: 18/03/2019 - Council (Item 118)
The Council is recommended to adopt the calendar of meetings for the 2019/20 Municipal Year. (Report attached, minute to follow in supplement)
- Enc. 1 for Draft Calendar of Meetings for the 2019/20 Municipal Year, 25/02/2019 Cabinet, item 118 PDF 124 KB
- Enc. 2 for Draft Calendar of Meetings for the 2019/20 Municipal Year, 25/02/2019 Cabinet, item 118 PDF 45 KB
- MINUTE EXTRACT A - Cabinet - 25 Feb, item 118 PDF 107 KB
- Amendment Item 9A, item 118 PDF 45 KB
- Webcast for CALENDAR OF MEETINGS 2019/20
The first matter requiring consideration was in relation to adoption of the calendar of meetings for the 2019/20 Municipal Year, as recommended by the Cabinet at its meeting on 25 February 2019 (minute 59 refers).
Councillor Phil Davies moved and Councillor George Davies seconded the adoption of the calendar of meetings for the 2019/20 Municipal Year, as recommended by the Cabinet at its meeting on 25 February 2019.
Councillor Phil Gilchrist moved and Councillor Chris Carubia seconded an amendment such that –
“Council believes that the ‘Portfolio Summary Reports’ presented by Cabinet Members should contain far more than references and links and references to press reports.
Council considers it essential that an additional opportunity is taken to hold the new Cabinet to account.
Accordingly, an additional Council meeting should be added to the Calendar on Monday 9 September 2019 for which Cabinet Members will be expected to provide meaningful details and accounts of their activities.”
The amendment was put and lost (26:34) (One abstention).
The motion was put and it was -
Resolved (34:28) (One abstention) – That the recommendation contained within minute 59 of Cabinet, 25 February 2019 be approved.
Meeting: 25/02/2019 - Cabinet (Item 59)
- Enc. 1 for Draft Calendar of Meetings for the 2019/20 Municipal Year, item 59 PDF 124 KB
- Enc. 2 for Draft Calendar of Meetings for the 2019/20 Municipal Year, item 59 PDF 45 KB
- Webcast for Draft Calendar of Meetings for the 2019/20 Municipal Year
Councillor Phil Davies, Leader of the Council - (Overall strategic direction of Council; Lead the Wirral Partnership; Lead Wirral across Liverpool City Region),
“This report sets out a programme of meetings for the coming Municipal Year, allowing the Council to plan its business effectively and enable effective governance and scrutiny of all decisions.”
Councillor Phil Davies introduced a report which recommended draft dates for Council, Cabinet and Committee meetings (“Council meetings”) for the Municipal Year 2019/2020.
Appendix 1 to the report described various issues that had been taken into account in compiling the draft calendar.
Appendix 2 to the report detailed other meetings that did not constitute a meeting of the Council and, therefore, did not require inclusion in the Calendar of Meetings. Notification of these other meetings was provided to help Members to manage their diaries.
The Cabinet was reminded that the Wirral Plan: A 2020 Vision set out a shared partnership vision to improve outcomes for Wirral residents. Delivery of the priorities and outcomes described in the Plan was dependent on the efficient operation of the democratic process to scrutinise and make the decisions required and the requirement for the scheduling of Council meetings which make these decisions.
The decision required was not a key decision and no other options were considered beyond those outlined in the report.
RESOLVED: That it be recommended to the Council:
(1) the relevant draft Calendar of Meetings for the 2019/20 Municipal Year set out at Appendix 1 to the report for approval, and unless amended at the meeting of Council on 18 March 2019, be confirmed as the Calendar of Meetings for the Municipal Year 2019/20;
(2) the other meetings set out at Appendix 2 to the report be noted and Members be requested to diarise those meetings as appropriate; and
(3) any proposed amendments to the Calendar of Meetings and Appendix 2 to the report be submitted to the Director of Governance and Assurance by no later than 10am on Friday, 8 March 2019.