Presentation - Mid Wirral Line
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
Neil Scales, Chief Executive and Director General, Merseytravel made a presentation on the Borderlands Line which is a key link for Merseyside. The presentation included an overview of rail in Merseyside, details of the rail strategy (vision and objectives), the expansion programme and proposals for the Borderlands Line. Mr Scales informed on progress made so far and concluded as follows:
- Funding issues are very difficult in the new financial landscape
- However, the development of the Borderlands Line will provide links to jobs both in Deeside and Liverpool
- The Network Rail Study appears to exaggerate the cost of electrification
- Further work needs to be undertaken to develop the case and identify how the project will be funded
- Importantly, the Welsh Assembly fully supports the electrification of the line.
Following the presentation Members were given the opportunity to ask Mr Scales questions which he answered as appropriate.
(1) Mr Scales be thanked for his attendance and informative presentation; and
(2) the Cabinet re-emphasises the high priority it puts on improving the Borderlands Link to ensure Wirral people can access employment opportunities.
Publication date: 12/11/2010
Date of decision: 04/11/2010
Decided at meeting: 04/11/2010 - Cabinet