The Council is composed of 66 Councillors with one third elected three years in four. Councillors are democratically accountable to residents of their ward. The overriding duty of Councillors is to the whole community, but they have a special duty to their constituents, including those who did not vote for them.
All Councillors meet together as the Council. Meetings of the Council are normally open to the public. Here Councillors decide the Council’s overall policies and set the budget each year. The Council will appoint the Leader and Cabinet (the Executive) and hold the Executive to account. There will be an opportunity for members of the public to ask questions at Council meetings.
Cabinet takes the majority of the key (major) decisions that are made on behalf of the Council and decisions may be delegated to individual Cabinet Members. The Cabinet comprises the Leader of the Council and nine other members, each with responsibility for an individual portfolio. These are:
Leader of the Council - Cllr. Phil Davies
(Overall strategic direction of Council;Lead the Wirral Partnership;
Lead Wirral across Liverpool City Region).
Leisure & Recreation - Cllr. Phill Brightmore
Jobs & Growth - Cllr. Angela Davies
Housing & Planning - Cllr. George Davies
Adult Care & Health - Cllr. Chris Jones
Children & Families - Cllr. Bernie Mooney
Environment - Cllr. Anita Leech
Law & Order - Cllr. Paul Stuart
Highways & Transport - Cllr. Stuart Whittingham
Finance & Resources - Cllr. Janette Williamson
Any key decision that the Cabinet or Cabinet Member takes is open to scrutiny and if a decision is “called in” for scrutiny it cannot be implemented until further consideration has been given to the matter in question by the decision maker.
Committees have been established to carry out those functions that do not fall within the remit of the Cabinet. They are:
Audit and Risk Management Committee – Oversees various
· Employment and Appointments Committee – The appointment of chief officers and deputies and to act as the Appeals body in respect of misconduct of chief officers;
· Licensing, Health and Safety and General Purposes Committee – Deals with a range of regulatory and quasi-judicial issues;
· Licensing Act 2003 Committee – Responsible for licensing the sale and supply of alcohol, premises providing regulated entertainment and the provision of late-night refreshments; also, functions under the Gambling Act 2005;
· Pensions Committee – Responsible for managing the Merseyside Pension Fund;
· Planning Committee – Deals with Planning Applications;
· Standards and Constitutional Oversight Committee – Deals with matters relating to the conduct of Councillors, employees, complaints and probity issues.
- Audit and Risk Management Committee
- Employment and Appointments Committee
- Employment and Appointments Panel (Assistant Director: Finance Investment Lead)
- Employment and Appointments Panel (Asst Director - Community Services)
- Employment and Appointments Panel (Asst Director - Early Help and Prevention (Children's) ; Asst Director - Modernisation and Support (Children's); Asst Director - Culture and Visitor Economy)
- Employment and Appointments Panel (Asst Director: Health and Care Outcomes and Asst Director: Adult and Disability Services)
- Employment and Appointments Panel (Corporate Director for Economic and Housing Growth)
- Employment and Appointments Panel (Director for Strategy and Partnerships)
- Investigation and Disciplinary Committee
- Licensing Act 2003 Committee
- Licensing Act 2003 Sub-Committee
- Licensing Panel
- Licensing, Health and Safety and General Purposes Committee
- Pensions Committee
- Planning Committee
- Standards and Constitutional Oversight Committee
- Standards Committee Appointments Panel
The Council appoints 4 area committees co-terminus with the four constituency boundaries to discharge functions in respect of that area of the authority as set out below.
The area committees are known as Constituency Committees.
The members of the committees will be members of the authority who are elected for electoral divisions or wards which fall wholly or partly within the wards comprising the area of the committee.
- Constituency Committee - Birkenhead
- Constituency Committee - Wallasey
- Constituency Committee - Wallasey - Working Group
- Constituency Committee - Wirral South
- Constituency Committee - Wirral West
- Health and Wellbeing Board
- Highways and Traffic Representation Panel
- MEMBERS DEVELOPMENT PROJECT WORK
- Wirral Children's Trust
- Wirral Schools Forum
- Youth and Play Service Advisory Committee
Overview and Scrutiny Committees
- Adult Care and Health Overview and Scrutiny Committee
- Business Overview and Scrutiny Committee
- Children and Families Overview and Scrutiny Committee
- Environment Overview and Scrutiny Committee
- Wirral & Cheshire West and Chester Joint Health Scrutiny Committee