Portas Pilots Round 2
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: No
Councillor P. Hackett, having declared a personal and prejudicial interest (Minute No. 2 refers) left the meeting whilst this item was considered.
A report by the Director of Regeneration, Housing and Planning informed the Cabinet that on the 30 March 2012 the Government announced a further round of Portas Pilot Town Team bidding – Round 2. The second round followed a first round, announced by Government on 4 February 2012 and for which the bidding closed on 30March 2012. Some 360 plus applications had been submitted to the Government; including five from Wirral (reported to the Cabinet on 15 March 2012, Minute No. 346 refers).
Members were asked to note that the Government had stated that any bids which were unsuccessful in Round one would be considered automatically in Round 2.
As per the first round, the bids must be submitted in a partnership approach between retailers, landlords, local community, Local Authority and other partners. The Local Authority must agree to be the accountable body for the fund and also submit a statement securing value for money for the tax payer.
The Council had received two draft bids from local groups. A summary of which was outlined in section 2 of the report.
Members were asked to agree that the Local Authority would be the Accountable Body for any funding which may be granted, if any of the bids were successful, for up to £100,000 per bid.
Members were also asked that as per Round 1 of the Portas Pilots, to agree that due to the very tight timescale for the bids; that the Director of Regeneration, Housing and Planning in consultation with the leader of the Portfolio Holder, agree the final bids for submission to the Government on 30 June 2012. This was to allow more detailed work to be undertaken by the groups on their final bids including a video, within the framework of their draft bids outlined below, before submission to Government.
The Acting Chief Executive fully supported the proposal to waive call in on this decision having regard to the very short timescale for submission of the bids and the public interest. Members were asked to agree that call in for this report is waived.
(1) the submission of the 2 ‘Portas Pilot’ bids to the Department of Communities and Local Government to Government on 30th June 2012 be approved;
(2) the Director of Regeneration, Housing and Planning in consultation with the Portfolio holder have delegated authority to agree the submission of the final bids to Government, within the framework of the draft bids summarised within section 2 of the report;
(3) the Local Authority be Accountable Body for the funding of up to £100,000 for each bid, if successful and the money be allocated in line with the Council’s accounting policies;
(4) the Director of Regeneration, Housing and Planning in consultation with the portfolio holder be requested to prepare a statement for submission to CLG stating that the Council will secure value for money for the tax payer in the use of the grant; and
(5) should any bids be submitted to the Council prior to 30th June deadline, the Director of Regeneration, Housing and Planning in consultation with the portfolio holder/leader has the delegated authority to allow the bids to be submitted provided the bid is will secure value for money for the tax payer in the use of the grant;
(6) the request to waive call-in respect of 1-5 above, be approved.
Councillor P Hackett returned to the meeting.
Report author: Strategic Director: Regeneration and Environment
Publication date: 09/07/2012
Date of decision: 21/06/2012
Decided at meeting: 21/06/2012 - Cabinet