WASP Service to School Transfer
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
The Acting Director of Children’s Services asked the Cabinet to approve arrangements, following the directive from the Department for Education to delegate budget and staffing responsibilities to the Management Committee of Pupil Referral Units (PRU) from 1 April 2013. The Wirral Alternative Schools Programme (WASP) was the Wirral PRU. Currently WASP was a Local Authority Service and was controlled by the policies and practices of Wirral Local Authority. The directive from the Department for Education would result in WASP becoming a maintained school and the Management Committee would take over the delegated powers similar to other schools maintained by Wirral Local Authority.
Resolved – That Cabinet agrees that:
(1) Wirral Alternative Schools Programme (WASP) is transferred from a service to a maintained school.
(2) Budget responsibilities for WASP are transferred to the WASP Management Committee, in line with current Government funding arrangements, from 1 April 2013.
(3) Staffing responsibilities for WASP are transferred to the WASP Management Committee. Appropriate consultation regarding any required changes to contracts of employment and Statements of Particulars are dealt with prior to 1 April 2013.
(4) WASP is given the same level of autonomy as other Wirral Maintained Schools from 1 April 2013.
(5) A detailed plan will be produced to enable the transfer arrangements to be monitored closely by the Cabinet Member for Children’s Services in association with the Acting Director of Children’s Services.
Publication date: 08/01/2013
Date of decision: 20/12/2012
Decided at meeting: 20/12/2012 - Cabinet
Effective from: 16/01/2013