Council Shared Services
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: Yes
Joint report with Cheshire West and Chester Council
The Cabinet considered the report of the Strategic Director, Transformation and Resources informing of the potential for sharing back office services between Wirral Council and Cheshire West and Chester Council.
The decision would promote value for money and best practice, and underpin the delivery of services.
(1) the proposal to explore sharing all back office services (BOS) be approved, with the medium term aim of a fully merged shared corporate service;
(2) a report with detailed proposals and indicative timescales be brought back to members in October to provide assessment of financial and service impact and potential benefits for both councils;
(3) both councils endorse a concordat, setting out the direction of travel;
(4) a joint submission for funds from the DCLG Transformation Challenge Award be approved; and
(5) no vacancies arising in a BOS area be automatically advertised without prior reference to the shared arrangements. And that further consideration is given to ‘one lead’ in each BOS area, with the successful candidate spending their first six months in the Council of the unsuccessful candidate. Consideration also be given to other relevant posts and possible areas of shared responsibility.
Report author: Strategic Director: Transformation and Resources
Publication date: 25/07/2013
Date of decision: 11/07/2013
Decided at meeting: 11/07/2013 - Cabinet
Effective from: 27/07/2013