Schools Budget 2015/16
Decision Maker: Cabinet, Council
Decision status: Recommmend Forward to Council
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: No
To approve the Schools Budget for 2015/16 and any changes to the schools funding formula.
Councillor Tony Smith introduced the report of the Director of Children’s Services, recommending the approval of a Schools Budget for 2015/16 of £242,576,100 for early years, maintained schools, academies, colleges and providers in Wirral and changes to the schools funding formula following consultation with schools last term. The budget and the schools funding formula proposals were presented to and agreed by the Schools Forum on 14th January 2015.
Councillor T. Smith commented that eight of the Borough’s primary Schools had received a letter from the Education Minister commending them on their use of Pupil Premiums to help disadvantaged children.
Councillor Smith further commented that in relation to attainment, the Borough was rated 1st against our statistical neighbours and 2nd in the North West for GCSE results. Councillor Smith, along with the Cabinet Members commended the work of all the teaching staff, support officers, governors and officers on their achievement towards the attainment results of their pupils.
That having taken account of the views of the Schools Forum Cabinet recommends to Budget Council that:
(1) the contributions to combined budgets be agreed;
(2) the proposed reductions totalling £2.3m (£1.7m in 2015-16) be agreed;
(3) the High Needs Contingency totalling £500,000 be agreed;
(4) the reserves totalling £894,900 used to set the Schools Budget be agreed;
(5) the submission of the Schools Funding Formula to the Education Funding Agency containing amendments to increase the unit value of funding for Looked After Children and to cap the unit value for Free School Meals / Deprivation is approved; and
(6) that following the increase in High Needs place funding for Alternative Provision to £10,000 in September 2015, the Top Up element of funding be reduced by a matching amount – from £5,000 to £3,000 per annum;
(7) the teaching staff, support officers, governors and officers be congratulated on all their hard and achievement towards the attainment results of their pupils.
Prior to consideration of the item Councillor P Davies having previously declared a prejudicial interest in this item, left the room and took no part in its consideration.
Councillor Ann McLachlan in the Chair.
Publication date: 12/02/2015
Date of decision: 10/02/2015
Decided at meeting: 10/02/2015 - Cabinet