BUSINESS SUPPORT IN WIRRAL
Decision Maker: Cabinet,
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
The Deputy Chief Executive/Director of Corporate Services presented an update report on the performance to date of the investment made into business support service interventions in Wirral during the current economic conditions. Members were asked to note the excellent performance and the level of support offered to businesses by the Invest Wirral team, and support the recommendations for further enhancing the business support activities outlined within the report.
(1) That the excellent progress made in supporting Wirral businesses current, particularly the performance of the interventions put in place to place mitigate the effects of the recession, be noted and the following recommendations be supported:
(a) Officers undertake a suitable procurement process to appoint an organisation to deliver business support advice functions to Wirral businesses in line with current programmes. This would be specifically to support Wirral business on issues ranging from business planning to health and safety advice, funded from budgets previously agreed by Cabinet; and
(b) Officers progress the upgrading of the web based platform for the Wirral Business Forum to increase its capacity and enhance the overall system in line with the process outlined in section 4 of the report. Members were asked to note that this is in line with the council procurement guidelines and would be funded by budgets previously approved by Cabinet.
(2) That Cabinet further congratulates the Invest Wirral team on their excellent performance and the level of support they have been able to offer Wirral’s businesses in this difficult climate.
(3) That Cabinet notes that that their close working with Wirral businesses, their ability to help businesses tap into national and regional sources finance, and the resources released in last year’s budget from the Working Wirral Fund, has helped safeguard over 700 jobs, both in small businesses and in larger enterprises.
(4) That Cabinet welcomes the 3.7 m investment by Bristol- Myers Squibbs in their Research and Development laboratory in Moreton, and the creation of 270 new jobs by Tulip Ltd with a £12m investment in a new production facility on Wirral.
(5) That Cabinet also welcomes the development of the Apprenticeship scheme in co-operation with local businesses and its contribution to the development of Wirral’s young people.
(6) That Cabinet notes that the Manufacturing Advisory Service has asked Wirral to make a presentation to representatives of the North West Regional Authorities on the business support they offer and welcome the fact that this recognises the operation of Invest Wirral as a benchmark for best practice in the North West Region.
Report author: Jim Wilkie
Publication date: 09/02/2010
Date of decision: 04/02/2010
Decided at meeting: 04/02/2010 - Cabinet
Effective from: 17/02/2010