Wirral Local Plan - 2020-2035: Approval of Issues and Options Document for Public Consultation
Decision Maker: Council
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
Resolved (56 for, none against, 1 abstention) –
That Council recognises that considerable progress has been made in developing ‘Urban intensification’ as the preferred approach and the possibility of a ‘stepped approach’ to brownfield development in Wirral.
Council endorses this approach and will continue to examine the implications of increased densities on these sites with a view to ensuring that residential amenity is retained.
Council understands the necessity for adhering to a timetable that has been set out to satisfy Government requirements. This has led to the production and circulation of a substantial body of evidence and consultation papers which Members will consider further during the consultation process
Members may as part of the consultation process particularly wish to further study and challenge the criteria for the ‘weakly performing parcels’ of Green Belt at all appropriate stages, considering the detail of sites identified in the ‘Interim Green Belt Site Assessment’ and its ‘interim conclusions’. These need to be considered alongside the ‘significant negative effects’ of Options 2a and 2b as set out in AECOM ‘Sustainability Appraisal: Interim Note’ dated December 2019 (pages 383-398 refer).
Included in the documentation are sections which make it clear that with ‘potential intensification’ and ‘additional urban housing allocations’ ( sections 4.2.13 to 4.2.18 and Table 4.2, pages 94 and 95 refer), it is possible to meet the Government targets. Council stresses the need to seek to develop these areas having regard to the outcome of the public consultation.
Council requests that during the consultation process Members are kept informed as appropriate on the issues emerging so that these can be properly assessed.
Given the legal advice available to Members and the publicity secured for the launch of the consultation, coupled with the high degree of public registration and interest, the Council needs to proceed with the available documentation.
It should be noted, that:
(i) the study of the agricultural land and economy in Wirral has now been published;
(ii) a number of detailed studies and supporting documents have been issued and are subject to the consultation process, including the Infrastructure Delivery Plan (Chapter 7 page 166 onwards). Following consultation Members will wish to be satisfied that development will have regard to the provision of school places and greener transportation systems;
(iii) work with the NHS and primary care networks is ongoing (page 177 section 7.5.8 refer) and that following the consultation Members will need to be satisfied that adequate plans are being made to cope with the pattern of growth being suggested.
Given the timescales and the need for the consultation to proceed to assemble all the evidence necessary for the Regulation 19 stage of the process,
(1) Council approves the content of the Wirral Local Plan 2020-2035 Issues and Options Report attached to this report and its accompanying technical evidence for the purposes of public consultation under Regulation 18 of the Town and Country Planning (Local Planning) (England) Regulations 2012; and
(2) The Director of Regeneration and Place be given authority to make non-material amendments to the final text and presentation of the consultation documents before the consultation exercise begins.
Publication date: 13/01/2020
Date of decision: 13/01/2020
Decided at meeting: 13/01/2020 - Council
- Wirral Local Plan Reg 18 Cabinet Report 13 Jan 2020 PDF 177 KB
- Appendix 1 - Issues and Options consultation document PDF 4 MB
- Appendix 2 - Issue and Options Appendices PDF 6 MB
- Appendix 3- Sustainability Appraisal headline findings report (draft) PDF 270 KB
- Appendix 4 - Habitats Regulations Assessment PDF 5 MB