Adult Care and Health Commissioning Activity 2021
Decision Maker: Adult Social Care and Public Health Committee
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
The purpose of the report is to notify Adult Social Care and Public Health Committee of the commissioning activity for Quarter 2 of 2021, including the re-tender of existing services and new service provision.
1. Mobile Nights Service – A re-commission of the Care and Support at Home Mobile
night service in September 2021. A review of the service is taking place and has the
potential to see if the new service going forward could also include Continuing Health
Care (CHC) case take up, (both mobile and sitting services) as per the current Care and Support at Home offer for daytime provision, with opportunity to achieve a standard rate. This service will be for 5 years (3 + 2 x 1 year extension) Current budget for the service is £800k per year, (funded via the Better Care Fund (BCF) so this is a key decision.
2. Beach Accessible Wheelchairs – This is a new service request, following Council
expressing an ambition to introduce a beach accessible wheelchair service, funding will be provided from the Adult Social Care Budget.
3. Early Intervention and Prevention and Carers Services – A review of the current
Early Intervention and Prevention and Carers offer, currently with a Voluntary
Community and Faith sector, Wirral Health and Wellbeing Community Interest Company (CIC). This is a joint commission with NHS Wirral Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG), Public Health and Children’s and Young Person’s Department (CYPD), and in scope for the review are:
Adult General Support and Opportunities for Vulnerable People
Adult Day Opportunities for People with Eligible Needs (not including Learning Disabilities)
Long Term Conditions Programme
Adult Carers Health and Wellbeing Support
Young Carers Services
Special Education Needs and Disabilities (SEND)
Advocacy and Independent Visitor (A&IV) for Children Looked After and Children
subject to a Child Protection Plan
Sensory service provision
The contract length will be determined as part of the review, working closely with Wirral Health and Care Commissioning (WHCC) (Public Health and NHS Wirral CCG) and CYPD colleagues.
4. Wirral Advocacy Hub - the recommission of the Independent Advocacy Service
provision, including the statutory Independent Mental Capacity Advocates (IMCA),
Independent Mental Health Advocates (IMHA), Care Act Advocacy, also non-statutory support through General Advocacy, Self-Advocacy and Peer Advocacy.
5. Cardigan House – a 2-year pilot of a new 8-bed Supported Living service.
All the services above affects all wards within the Borough as placement, and or access, can be made from anywhere in Wirral.
Resolved (8:1) (2 abstentions) – That:
1. authorisation be given to the Director of Care and Health to proceed with the procurement for:
· Mobile Night Service (5-year contract)
· Beach Accessible wheelchairs (2-year contract)
· Early Intervention and Prevention services (3-year contract)
· Wirral Advocacy Hub (3-year contract)
· Cardigan House (2-year contract)
2. Delegated authority be given to the Director of Care and Health to award the tender to the successful bidders following the tender process.
Reasons for the decision:
These are current services that require either a review, a re-tender, or an award and financial approval is required. Beach Accessible wheelchairs is a new service offer, funding will be provided from the Adult Social Care Budget.
Alternative options considered:
Officers intend to procure the care provision where possible from the established Liverpool City Region (LCR) Flexible Purchasing System, as per current regional agreements. This allows a wider choice of providers as the framework has recently been extended to attract service providers.
Officers could have chosen to do a standalone procurement exercise or to tender from the Wirral only Care and Support Framework for mobile nights.
Report author: Victoria Simpson
Publication date: 09/06/2021
Date of decision: 07/06/2021
Decided at meeting: 07/06/2021 - Adult Social Care and Public Health Committee
Effective from: 15/06/2021