SUSTAINABLE URBAN DEVELOPMENT WORK PACKAGE 7: PRICE STREET
Decision Maker: Director of Regeneration and Place
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
This report considers objections and
expressions of support received regarding the proposed walking and
cycling infrastructure upgrades on Price Street in the Bidston and
St James ward.
The Director of Regeneration and Place approved the proposed walking and cycling infrastructure upgrades on Price Street as set out in Appendix 1 of the attached report for implementation.
Reasons for the decision:
The Price Street scheme is designed in accordance with the latest cycling design guidance to create an environment that is safe for both walking and cycling and to help embed walking and cycling as part of new long-term commuting habits. The scheme is funded via the European Union’s European Regional Development Fund Sustainable Urban Development fund with 50% match funding from the Liverpool City Region Combined Authority Transforming Cities Fund.
Officers have considered the objections and expressions of support received during the recent consultation period, and have provided comprehensive responses, but consider that the proposed scheme should be progressed as it is in line with the latest Department for Transport design guidance for cycling schemes, the objectives of the funding programme, and supports the delivery of the Wirral Plan 2021-2026.
Alternative options considered:
Allocate the funding to a different scheme in the Borough. This is not considered appropriate as the Liverpool City Region Combined Authority, which is the accountable body for the funding, has advised that the funds cannot be transferred to an alternative scheme and even if this was an option, the end date for the expenditure of the grant would mean there was not sufficient time to progress an alternative scheme.
Remove the Price Scheme from the Work Package 7 programme and return the £1,318,560 of funding to the LCRCA as the accountable body for the funding. This is not considered an appropriate option as failure to deliver against the approved programme could result in reputational issues for the Council and the LCRCA in terms of demonstrating commitment to active travel which could result in future funding allocations being reduced.
Publication date: 10/03/2023
Date of decision: 10/03/2023
Effective from: 16/03/2023
- Sustainable Urban Development Work Package 7: Price Street Officer Decision Form PDF 281 KB
- Sustainable Urban Development Work Package 7: Price Street Report PDF 423 KB
- Appendix 1 - Price Street Scheme Drawings Ref No 100105630-MMD-02-PS-DR-C-0101 PDF 955 KB
- Appendix 1 - Price Street Scheme Drawings Ref No 100105630-MMD-02-PS-DR-C-0102 PDF 696 KB
- Appendix 1 - Price Street Scheme Drawings Ref No 100105630-MMD-02-PS-DR-C-0103 PDF 697 KB
- Appendix 2 - Price Street Objections and Expressions of Support Report from the ‘Have Your Say’ website PDF 472 KB
- Appendix 3 - Price Street Officer responses to Objections and Expressions of Support PDF 207 KB