Wirral Positive Futures Project
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: Yes
A report by the Director of Technical Services provided the Cabinet with an update on the work of the Wirral’s Sports Development Unit and, in particular, the Positive Futures Project and sought its endorsement for the proposed activity for 2012/13 as agreed in the Council budget for 2012/13.
The following activity was proposed for the additional allocation of £50,000 approved by Council for 2012/13 which will enable the project to extend its work:
· Purchase of a transit van complete with telescopic lighting capabilities and generator to floodlight an area of land in the evening allowing organised sports to take place. The mobile sports unit would operate in Parks and multiuse games areas in the evenings at weekends to engage young people. Cost £20,000
· Employment of a Positive Futures Assistant Activity Mentor to work alongside Colin Hunt, full time to develop and enhance targeted sports activities and increase volunteering and coaching opportunities for vulnerable young people. The post would be for one year predominantly in the evenings and at weekends in areas of most need. Cost £22,000
· Training budget for up to 40 targeted young people enabling them to qualify as sports instructors and be ready for employment on Sports Development and other Sports & Recreation schemes. Cost £8,000.
(1) the work of Wirral’s Sports Development Unit and, in particular, the Positive Futures Project be noted; and
(2) the proposed activity for 2012/13 outlined above be endorsed.
Publication date: 19/04/2012
Date of decision: 12/04/2012
Decided at meeting: 12/04/2012 - Cabinet
Effective from: 27/04/2012