Empowering Locally / Neighbourhood Working to Deliver the Wirral Plan 2020
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
Defining the role of neighbourhood working in delivering outcomes for Wirral
Councillor George Davies introduced a report by the Director of Adult Social Services that informed that the five - year Wirral Plan set out a clear vision on how the public services across the area would work together to deliver a better life for local people. One of the four key themes of this work was the principle of empowering locally: giving back power and responsibility to communities and tailoring public services to meet the unique needs of local areas and neighbourhoods.
The Director’s report sought the Cabinet’s approval for the further development of the neighbourhood working model in order to support the effective delivery of the Wirral Plan 2020 outcomes at a local level.
Appended to the report at Appendix 1 was the Proposed Outline for a Neighbourhood Working Model.
Councillor Phil Davies informed that this approach was about the Council working differently, creatively and innovatively to meet the agreed outcomes. It was also hoped that local people would also be encouraged to use their skills, talents and energies to benefit their local communities.
(1) the further development of the neighbourhood working model be agreed in order to support the effective delivery of the Wirral Plan 2020 outcomes at a local level;
(2) the development of a Neighbourhood Working Development Plan by December 2015, which will be a key component of the Wirral Plan 2020 delivery plan be agreed;
(3) the alignment of the delivery of 2020 outcomes to neighbourhood working where this is appropriate to do so, proactively promoting co-location and working across organisational boundaries be agreed;
(4) the realigning of resources required to deliver the Neighbourhood Working Development Plan and Neighbourhood Plans, once these are in place, and to embed this in the Council’s Five Year Financial Plan be agreed;
(5) the review of the role of Constituency Committees and Constituency Managers in line with the proposed Neighbourhood Working Development Plan be agreed; and
(6) as there are no additional resources available to fund this approach the work involved in respect of (1) to (5) above be carried out within existing resources.
Report author: Graham Hodkinson
Publication date: 13/10/2015
Date of decision: 08/10/2015
Decided at meeting: 08/10/2015 - Cabinet
Effective from: 21/10/2015