Care Act Key Changes to Policies & Procedures - update for Cabinet
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
Update of Departmental policies and procedures
in line with the principles of the Care Act.
Councillor Chris Jones introduced a report of the Acting Head of Delivery Services that informed about recommended changes in, Adult Social Care policy documents. It was reported that a full review of all social care policies had been undertaken in response to the new social and health care legislation, the Care Act 2014.
The Care Act 2014 was the biggest change to adult social care law in over 60 years. It consolidated over 30 different pieces of legislation. The majority of Care Act changes came into force in April 2015, with the exception of the major reforms to the way people pay for adult social care which has been deferred until 2020.
The report specifically highlighted proposed policy changes in relation to key elements of the Care Act where the Council had discretionary powers (for example in relation to the charging for specific services). The Cabinet noted that this was an important focal point for policy change, and an interim policy framework was set out in the report which was subject to consultation.
The Cabinet also noted that the policies had been developed in line with the Wirral Plan’s 2020 Pledges. As well as providing a personalised framework for supporting the most vulnerable, these policies specifically offered people greater access to information, new rights and links with supporting older people to live well and to ensure that people with disabilities could live independently.
Appended to the report was:
Appendix 1 - Primary and Secondary legislation which has been revoked by the Care Act
Appendix 2 - A Full List of Revised Policies
Appendix 3 - The Consultation Exercise Results
Councillor Phil Davies made reference to this important piece of legislation that had significant implications and proposed that Cabinet Members keep a close eye on this over the coming weeks and months.
(1) the following Care Act compliant policies be approved:
1. Assessment Eligibility and Review
3. Choice of Accommodation and Additional Payments (Top-ups)
5. Deferred Payments
6. End of Life Care
8. Hospital Discharges
9. Market Shaping and Market Failure
11. Ordinary Residence
12. Overarching Values and Principals
13. Personal Budgets and Direct Payments
15. Referral and First Contact
17. Safeguarding Adults Partnership Board (SAPB)
18. Support Planning
(2) the following policies be approved and authority be delegated to the Cabinet Member for Adult Social Care to make any amendments which may be required following consultation:
1. Assisted Transport
2. Charging and Financial Assessments
3. Financial Protection Policy (including protection of moveable property)
Report author: Jacqui Evans
Publication date: 09/06/2016
Date of decision: 06/06/2016
Decided at meeting: 06/06/2016 - Cabinet
Effective from: 16/06/2016