Issue - meetings
Review of the Constitution
Meeting: 19/03/2009 - Cabinet (Item 415)
At its meeting on 9 July 2008, the Cabinet had considered a report on proposed constitutional amendments and resolved to review the structure of Overview and Scrutiny Committees. The Director of Law, HR and Asset Management presented a report on this matter which also proposed a revised scheme of delegation to portfolio holders.
Resolved: - That
(1) the scheme of delegation of executive functions to portfolio holders be amended to allow all non-key decisions to be made under delegation in line with paragraph 3.3 of the report;
(2) the Environment Overview and Scrutiny Committee be re-titled ‘Sustainable Communities’ Overview and Scrutiny Committee;
(3) Cabinet reaffirms its view that all non-executive members of the Council (other than the Mayor) should have the opportunity to serve on an Overview and Scrutiny Committee if they so choose and therefore believes that each Overview and Scrutiny Committee should have 10 members;
(4) the proposal to move to five overview and scrutiny committees, based on the Council’s corporate priorities be forwarded to the three Party Leaders for their comments to be brought back to the Cabinet at its next meeting; and
(5) Cabinet’s preference is that the Scrutiny Chairs Committee be a properly constituted committee and that its role be that of programme co-ordination and call-ins that involve two or more Overview and Scrutiny Committees.
Meeting: 03/11/2008 - Council (Item 66)
CONSTITUTION - AMENDMENTS
Further to the review of the Constitution, the results of which were reported to the meeting in July, the Cabinet has proposed some more amendments, which require approval by the Council.
Further to the review of the Constitution, the results of which were reported to the meeting in July, the Cabinet had proposed some more amendments, which required approval by the Council.
Resolved (unanimously): That the Constitution be amended in accordance with Cabinet Minute 230.
Meeting: 16/10/2008 - Cabinet (Item 230)
- Appendix A, item 230 PDF 63 KB
- Appendix A(i), item 230 PDF 36 KB
- Appendix B, item 230 PDF 44 KB
- Appendix C, item 230 PDF 231 KB
- Appendix D, item 230 PDF 78 KB
- Appendix E, item 230 PDF 82 KB
The Director of Law, HR and Asset Management presented a report which sought approval to a number of additional amendments and additions to the Council’s Constitution following the review in July 2008. It also brought forward a number of matters regarding the operation of scrutiny in Wirral and suggests changes to the Council Minute Book.
The Leader of the Council moved a motion, duly seconded and it was –
Resolved – That the Council be recommended that
(1) the Constitution be amended as set out in this report;
(2) the Scrutiny Toolkit as set out in Appendix C of this report, and the Scrutiny Guidelines as set out in Appendix D, which were considered by the Scrutiny Chairs group, be approved, with the minor amendment to Paragraph 3 of the Scrutiny Call In Guidelines to read “Once the date of the meeting has been set, the relevant Chief Officer, Scrutiny Support Officers and all Council members will be notified of the date.”
(3) the working of the Scrutiny Toolkit and guidelines be reviewed in three months; and
(4) Committee minutes be included on agendas for meetings and the Council Minute Book cease to be produced.