Issue - meetings
Carbon Reduction Commitment – Update.
Meeting: 19/03/2009 - Cabinet (Item 416)
The Director of Technical Services updated Members on changes to the Carbon Reduction Commitment (CRC) made by the Government, since the previous report to this Committee on the 15 January 2008. The main changes included the inclusion of all State Schools, a change to the reporting period from the calendar year to the financial year, the rescheduling of a number of dates and a significant increase (of 50%) in the fixed cost of allowances in the first three years to £12\tonne. The report also suggested a way forward for the Council as current calculations now put the likely first year outlay to the Council at £510,000 in April 2011. At least 90% of the outlay would be recycled to the Council in October 2011 dependant on its position in the CRC league table.
Resolved: - That
(1) as a financial incentive the value of any bonus or penalty incurred collectively should be apportioned across all sites to encourage each site to actively participate.
(2) to ensure that these costs are not absorbed into utility budgets, and due to its complexity, the CRC scheme be identified as a separate expenditure item.
(3) the details and financial implications of the CRC scheme be included in the future financial planning for the Council.
(4) the proposals detailed in sections 5.3, 5.4, 5.7, 5.9 and 5.10 be implemented; and
(5) further reports be presented to Cabinet and the Environment Overview and Scrutiny Committee as more detailed information on the question of the CRC scheme becomes available.