Issue - meetings
Area Forum Development
Meeting: 12/04/2012 - Cabinet (Item 375)
- Appendix A Participatory Budgeting Protocol, item 375 PDF 55 KB
- Appendix B Forum Constitution, item 375 PDF 60 KB
A report by the Chief Executive made recommendations to increase engagement with Wirral communities with regard to the Council’s decision making and resource allocation. Members were advised that this involved a programme of activity for 2012/13 as well as a proposal for the distribution of the funding available to Area Forums for the coming fiscal year.
The Cabinet had resolved, in June 2011, to develop Neighbourhood Plans for each of Wirral’s eleven Area Forums, which preceded a comprehensive consultation programme throughout July, August and September 2011. The results of this consultation were being used to develop plans for each of the Area Forums. The Council resolved, in February 2012, that additional funding would be devolved to Area Forums to commission activity against the priorities contained within those plans. It was, therefore, important to agree a robust, accessible and appropriate method for increasing engagement and distributing funding.
The key message was that the Council was letting go and neighbourhoods would be determining their priorities in future. The level of influence that a community was able to exert to attract funding was being increased
Members noted the funding available to Area Forums to spend in 2012/13.
(1) those officers involved with Area Forum Development be thanked for their hard work;
(2) the proposals set out in the report be agreed as the basis for the future development of the Area Forum engagement programme and the distribution of Area Forum funding;
(3) the existing ‘You Decide’ and ‘Funds for You’ funding streams be combined with the £30,000 p/forum policy option into one ‘Neighbourhood Fund’ and have the ring fenced elements removed and the funding allocated to Road Safety and pavement improvements be added to this Neighbourhood fund, but ring fenced still for Road Safety and pavement improvements;
(4) Area Forum Members be requested to take into account particular areas of deprivation within their forum area when allocating funding, using the IMD criteria as a guide;
(5) funding be distributed following the process outlined in Appendix A to the report, with the October round of Forum meetings acting as participatory budgeting events, in those areas meeting the requirements, as outlined in Appendix A to the report and the. Cabinet retain final approval of all schemes recommended for approval by Area Forums;
(6) the main agenda item for all eleven meetings in June 2012 and February 2013 be linked directly to the Neighbourhood Plan project, with the option for each individual chair to request that additional items be added to the agenda and Community representatives also be appointed at the June meetings, if agreed with ward Members; and
(7) the Area Forum Constitution at Appendix B to the report be accepted as guidance for Members.