Issue - meetings
Annual Governance Statement 2013/14
Meeting: 09/10/2014 - Cabinet (Item 64)
The Cabinet Member - Governance, Commissioning and Improvement introduced a report by the Chief Executive that informed that the preparation and publication of an Annual Governance Statement (AGS) was necessary to meet the statutory requirement set out in the Accounts and Audit (England) Regulations 2011, Regulation 4(3).
Attached to the report as Appendix 1 was the final Annual Governance Statement for the Cabinet’s approval. The Cabinet noted that it was necessary for the Council to have approved and adopted a Code of Corporate Governance that complied with the principles of the CIPFA/SOLACE Framework, Delivering Good Governance in Local Government; and to report publicly, through the Annual Governance Statement, the extent to which the governance processes outlined in the Code were operating effectively in practice.
The Cabinet noted that the Framework identified six core principles of good governance:
1. Focussing on the purpose of the Authority and on outcomes for the community and creating and implementing a vision for the local area.
2. Members and officers working together to achieve a common purpose with clearly defined functions and roles.
3. Promoting values for the Authority and demonstrating the values of good governance through upholding high standards of conduct and behaviour.
4. Taking informed and transparent decisions which are subject to effective scrutiny and managing risk.
5. Developing the capacity and capability of Members and Officers to be effective.
6. Engaging with local people and other stakeholders to ensure robust accountability.
This was a very encouraging report and the Cabinet Member thanked the officers involved, across all of the Council’s departments for their hard work which had culminated in an unqualified opinion in all areas.
That the Annual Governance Statement for 2013-14 be approved.