Issue - meetings
Compulsory Purchase Order for Numbers 305, 307 and 321 Borough Road, Birkenhead
Meeting: 17/12/2015 - Cabinet (Item 81)
81 Compulsory Purchase Order for Numbers 305, 307, 309 and 321 Borough Road, Birkenhead PDF 124 KB
- Appendix 2 Borough Road CPO map, item 81 PDF 50 KB
- Appendix 3 REPORT UPDATE, item 81 PDF 37 KB
- Borough Road Order Map (2), item 81 PDF 58 KB
“This decision is a clear demonstration of our determination to ensure an attractive local environment for Wirral residents – a Pledge we committed to in our Wirral Plan for 2020.
“These properties are in the heart of Birkenhead; an area which is absolutely vital to the future economic prosperity of Wirral and an area which is set to benefit from a transformational programme of regeneration in the coming years.
“The purchase of these properties, and the additional investment of £100,000 for landscaping and environmental work to improve the area, is a step in the right direction and I’m sure local people will join me in welcoming this decision.”
Councillor Phil Davies
Reasons for Decisions:
Acquisition of the Order Land is needed to carry out the environmental improvements to the area.
To remove properties that are derelict and in a poor condition and consequently detracting from the general amenity on Borough Road.
In the absence of a voluntary sale by the owners of the Order Land the most appropriate compulsory purchase power is under Section 226(1) (a) as explained in the report and agenda supplementary paper Appendix 3 (ref: 309 Borough Road).
(1) the progress made in purchasing the properties be noted;
(2) the use of Compulsory Purchase Order powers under the Town and Country Planning Act 1990, Section 226(1)(a), for the acquisition of the Order Land to complete the acquisition of land and property shown coloured pink and edged in red on the plan at Appendix 1, be authorised;
(3) the Head of Legal Services be authorised to take all necessary steps to secure the making, confirmation and implementation of the Compulsory Purchase Order including the publication and service of all notices and the presentation of the Council’s case at any Public Inquiry and acquire the interests in the Order Land either by agreement or compulsorily; and
(4) funding the environmental improvement works of £106,026 as detailed in section 5.2 of the report, be approved.
The report updated Members on the progress made in acquiring properties within the block 305-329 Borough Road, Birkenhead. In addition the report requested that Cabinet authorised the use of Compulsory Purchase Order powers under the Town and Country Planning Act 1990: Section 226(1)(a) to acquire the remaining properties, numbers 305, 307 and 321 (“the Order land”) shown coloured pink and edged in red on the plan at Appendix 1 of the report. This would enable the Council to undertake environmental improvement works to a key road corridor into Birkenhead Town Centre.
The report affected the Birkenhead and Tranmere Ward and was not a key decision.
It was a key theme under the Wirral Plan: 2020 Vision, An Attractive Local Environment for Wirral Residents.
The report contained exempt information set out in paragraph 3 of Part 1 Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act 1972 and included the current position with regard to negotiations to acquire remaining legal interests in the Order Land. The exempt information was in Appendix 2 of the report. ... view the full minutes text for item 81