Issue - meetings
Health Related Worklessness
Meeting: 21/03/2016 - Cabinet (Item 129)
“A thriving economy brings huge benefits for the entire borough. People in work tend to have better health, better housing and a better quality of life. We are determined to do all we can to be innovative and imaginative, providing new solutions to help those residents furthest away from work, including those with health conditions, access the right support on their journey back into the employment market as we work towards achieving our 20 Pledges”.
Reason for Decision:
Despite some success in reducing health related worklessness, Wirral has persistent levels that far exceed regional and national averages. The guiding principles of the Wirral Plan: A 2020 Vision are embedded in the delivery model and the activities proposed meet a number of aspirations of the Wirral Plan, specifically Pledge 8: Greater Job Opportunities and Pledge 16: Wirral residents liver healthier lives.
(1) the findings of the research phase of the Health Related Worklessness Programme be noted, and the approach for progressing to implementation phase be approved;
(2) the use of the £1m Transformation Challenge Award to support the workstream activities identified in the report be authorised; and
(3) the Assistant Chief Executive be authorised to finalise details of the commissioning process and selection of suppliers in consultation with the Strategic Director Families and Wellbeing regarding the use of Public Health Grant.
Councillor Pat Hackett introduced a report updating Members on the progress and findings of Phase One of the Wirral Health Related Worklessness Programme and sought authority to commission activity to progress Phase Two: Implementation.
The Health Related Worklessness Programme had been developed using the guiding principles of the Wirral Plan and supported the aspirations of improving the health and wellbeing of residents and their active engagement in the labour market, specifically:
· PLEDGE 8: GREATER JOB OPPORTUNITIES IN WIRRAL
Growth Plan – ‘Wirral will be a place where employers want to invest, business thrives and high quality jobs are provided and where all our residents are able to contribute to and benefit from sustained prosperity and a good quality of life’.
· PLEDGE 16: WIRRAL RESIDENTS LIVE HEALTHIER LIVES
Draft Healthier Lives Plan – ‘The Department of Health estimates that health services, although important to our health and wellbeing, only contribute about 20% of our health status. The other 80% is determined by access to employment and education opportunities, our income, good housing, education, transport links and supportive social networks’.
This matter affected all Wards within the Borough, with a specific focus on the Parliamentary Constituency of Birkenhead.
This was a key decision requesting member approval for use of Council resources which exceed £500,000.