Issue - meetings
ANNUAL GOVERNANCE STATEMENT 2016/17
The Assistant Director: Finance and Section 151 Officer introduced his report that set out the planned approach for the production of the Council’s Annual Governance Statement (AGS) 2016/17. The report also provided an outline of the work required to prepare the Statement, setting out indicative timescales.
The Committee noted that the preparation and publication of an AGS is necessary to meet the statutory requirement set out in the Accounts and Audit (England) Regulations 2011, Regulation 4(3). This work was currently being undertaken by the Law and Governance service for presentation to the Audit and Risk Management Committee at its June 2017 meeting.
The report confirmed the various principles underpinning the Annual Governance Statement, namely:
1. Behaving with integrity, demonstrating strong commitment to ethical values and respecting the rule of law.
2. Ensuring openness and comprehensive stakeholder engagement.
3. Defining outcomes in terms of sustainable economic, social and environmental benefits.
4. Determining the interventions necessary to optimize the achievement of the intended outcomes.
5. Developing the entity’s capacity including the capability of it’s leadership and the individuals within it.
6. Managing risk and performance through robust internal control and strong public financial management.
7. Implementing good practices in transparency, reporting and audit to deliver effective accountability.
Resolved - That the approach outlined in the report with regards to producing the Annual Governance Statement 2016/17 be endorsed.