Issue - meetings
A Sport and Physical Activity Strategy for Wirral (2021-2026)
- Active Wirral Strategy FV, item 59 PDF 6 MB
- Wirral Council – Strategic Outcomes Planning Guidance Report 2021, item 59 PDF 824 KB
- Sport & Physical Activity Strategy Consultation Report, item 59 PDF 2 MB
- Sport and Physical Activity Strategy Needs Analysis, item 59 PDF 4 MB
- Webcast for A Sport and Physical Activity Strategy for Wirral (2021-2026)
The Assistant Director for Leisure, Libraries and Customer Engagement introduced the report of the Director of Neighbourhood Services which presented the 5- year strategy, “Creating an Active Wirral, A Sport and Physical Activity Strategy for Wirral”. It provided an overview of the collaborative process, needs analysis and strategic priorities required to increase sport and activity levels in the borough to deliver a reduction in health and social inequalities. The focus of the strategy was to set out the priorities for sport and leisure facilities, services and activities and sought to redress the balance between being a provider of facilities, both natural and built, and tackling inequality through preventative, outreach, and early intervention work. The strategy had input from over 1,000 people and organisations and was produced in collaboration with Sport England.
Members asked questions of officers and confirmed:
· That a report on the future of golf was to be presented early in 2023
· Details on finances, targets and timescales could be discussed at a Members workshop
· The draft strategy was back with consultants for finalising details such as finance
· The aspirations were to begin to tackle the 25% of people who are inactive, and to use assets such as open spaces that came at little cost
· There were potential mutually beneficial links to other Committees and meetings as well as other bodies such as public health and the NHS
(1) the Sport and Physical Activity Strategy (2021-2026) / Creating an Active Wirral be approved.
(2) the Director of Neighbourhoods be requested to develop the next stage of a delivery plan to be reported back to a future meeting of this Committee.