Issue - meetings
Leisure Facilities Investment Strategy Report
8 Leisure Facilities Investment Strategy Report
- Leisure Facilities Investment Strategy Report, item 8 PDF 289 KB
- Appendix 1 - Creating an Active Wirral, item 8 PDF 6 MB
- Appendix 2 - Wirral Strategic Ooutcome Planning Guidance Report, item 8 PDF 1021 KB
- Appendix 3 - Sport and Physical Activity Strategy Consultation Report 21, item 8 PDF 2 MB
- Appendix 4 - Sport and Physical Activity Needs Analysis, item 8 PDF 2 MB
- Appendix 5 - Wirral Leisure Facility Investment Strategy
- Appendix 6 - Wirral Indoor and Built Facilties Strategy 2021, item 8 PDF 1 MB
- Appendix 7 - Wirral Playing Pitch and Outdoor Sports Strategy 2021, item 8 PDF 2 MB
- Appendix 8 - Sport England - Uniting the Movement 2021-2031
- Appendix 8 - Sport England Strategic Outcomes Planning Guidance May 2021, item 8 PDF 9 MB
- Appendix 9 - Wirral Borough Council - re-imagining Libraries Leisure Parks and Cultural Services
- Appendix 10 -Social and economic value of sport and physical activity in England 2020 (003)
- Appendix 13 - Woodchurch Feasibility Study
- Appendix 15 - Brio Leisure Annual Report 2021 (003)
- Appendix 17- Securing future
- Webcast for Leisure Facilities Investment Strategy Report
The Assistant Director for Leisure, Libraries and Engagement presented the report of the Director of Neighbourhood Services. The report provided Committee with a proposed Facility Investment Strategy for Leisure Services which reflected the importance placed on the provision of quality, community-based facilities providing sport and physical activities which contribute towards positive health and social outcomes for Wirral residents as identified in the Wirral Plan.
Members were informed that the Strategy would provide the Council with the opportunity to develop new and refurbished community facilities, designed with and for the needs of the local community and in most cases housed with co-located services, in order to deliver broader outcomes that are fundamental to the successful delivery of the outcomes of the Wirral Plan and to ensure the longer-term financial sustainability of the Council.
The report was jointly commissioned with Sport England, and produced by leading Leisure Consultants, Knight Kavanagh Page (KKP). It was reported that the Facility Investment Strategy sets out the plan to deliver a combination of new and refurbished leisure facilities and community hubs for Wirral Council.
Members discussed the impact of childhood obesity and deprivation on healthcare outcomes in Wirral. It was noted that the report was thorough and further questions were asked of officers on bringing disused assets back into use. Officers responded to say that whilst all things are considered, the strategy was a requirement when approaching sporting bodies for funding and support. Also discussed was participation of women and girls in football. Members were advised that Wirral was the third highest borough for participation in the country for youth football.
A query was also raised regarding provision for the elderly in the strategy, including sites for bowling. Officers noted this and confirmed that this provision sat within the parks and countryside team.
A further discussion was held, after which it was agreed by assent that the rest of the report would be discussed in a closed session, due to the exempt appendix.