Issue - meetings
Tobacco Control - Khan Review - Wirral's response
- Enc. 2 for Tobacco Control - Khan Review - Wirral's response, item 52 PDF 312 KB
- Webcast for Tobacco Control - Khan Review - Wirral's response
The Senior Public Health Manager for Healthier Lives introduced this report which provided a summary of the work undertaken to date on tobacco control and the challenges that remained. Smoking had been noted as a significant contributor to health inequalities and good long-term progress had been made in reducing smoking rates in Wirral. However, smoking rates remain highest among some of the most disadvantaged groups. The report also provided a response to the recently published independent Khan Review with a proposal to review local priorities and processes.
Members praised the work done to date and noted related ongoing issues such as addiction, cost and vaping.
(1) the good progress made in reducing smoking prevalence in Wirral be noted but it be recognised that we need to go further in order to address inequalities in smoking rates within the Borough.
(2) the Khan review and its recommendations to refresh the Wirral Tobacco Control action plan be utilised with all members committing to contribute to this work and to nominate a representative to take this forward.
(3) the refreshed Wirral Tobacco Control plan be received for sign off once developed.