Agenda and minutes

Venue: West Kirby Concourse, Grange Road, West Kirby, Wirral CH48 4HX

Contact: Tracey Smith  Senior Community Engagement Co-ordinator, 0151 691 8026, Email:

No. Item


Welcome, introductions and apologies:


  • Minutes are a summary of the meeting, issues raised with individual officers after the main meeting are actioned separately.


The Chair, Councillor Gerry Ellis, welcomed forum members and 90 members of the public to the West Wirral Area Forum meeting being held at West Kirby Concourse.



Area Co-ordinator's Report: Including minutes of last meeting and matters arising: pdf icon PDF 276 KB


Tracey Smith, presented her report containing the minutes from the previous meeting held in February 2011 included was local updates from our partners.


Tracey Smith highlighted any issues that been raised at a previous forum and had been actioned and are detailed on page 12 of the area forum papers.



Minutes – forum attendees liked the new layout of the minutes, they have improved, and they are clear and concise.


Briefing Note from Steve Foulkes:

Cllr Steve Foulkes was due to attend the area forum tonight but he is in Birmingham on Council business.


He fully supports the Neighbourhood plans as they are a vision for the neighbourhood, for them to be a success and to be a true reflection of what local people want, it is absolutely vital that communities get involved in the process.  He hopes to be able to attend the next area forum meeting.


Hoylake Community Centre:

Funding has been obtained for replacement roof and other essential works, and for employing a new manager and new caretaker.  Future plans to encourage more users at centre, but currently do have a lot of varied activities going on already.


Neighbourhood Plans:

Q: Is this under the localism Bill?

A: No it is a Neighbourhood Plan and it’s aim is to be a local document for this area forum area.


Q: Hoylake Village Life are working on their plan it is early days, has to be a referendum before we adopt it as a Council.

A: The responsibility lies with Hoylake Village Life on the consultation for that plan.

Comment: only two areas applied for the planning vanguard to central government.


Councillor Gerry Ellis congratulated all the groups that work in the local area. He was keen for groups and residents to take part in consultation (examples Libraries, Hotel in West Kirby).


Highway Maintenance Programme:

The Highway Maintenance Programme of works is detailed on pages 17 – 20, it lists all the road improvements taking taken place for this area.  Any new suggestions residents may have for  2012/2013 complete suggestion sheet available at the forum or alternatively contact Trace Smith direct 0151 691 8026


  • Hoylake Promenade to be re-visited as the resurfacing of roads needs attention, missing lines (yellow/white) etc there is still some of work to be completed in this area.  Mark Traynor to look into this and report back to next area forum.


Bridge Court:

WPH are working with key stakeholders in West Kirby, including the Primary Care Trust and Wirral Borough Council, to determine what might be possible on the Bridge Court site, and whether or not the West Kirby Health Centre could be restored there. It is anticipated that the feasibility work will be concluded later this year and any proposals will be the subject of consultation with all interested parties.


Hoose Court:

Demolition works for this site due to take place, talks will take place with neighbours to discuss how they would like the site landscaped.  Council and  ...  view the full minutes text for item 2.


Report from Partner Organisations:

  • NHS Wirral 
  • Wirral University Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust 
  • Merseyside Police & Community Safety
  • Fire Service 
  • Older Peoples Parliament 



Wirral University Teaching Hospital Trust – Margaret Shaughnessy

  • Full update for the Trust is in the area co-ordinators report pages 23 – 25.


Merseyside Police – Mike Blease

  • Newsletter was available at the area forum meeting.


Community Safety – Jim Thompson/Mike Collins


Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service – Myles Platt

  • Update for fire service is in the area co-ordinators report pages 15 – 17.


Myles Platt gave an overview of his report highlighting the main action points from their local IRMP report. (Integrated Risk Management Plan).Wirral has developed a local IRMP taking account of specific risks and community concerns. 


Older People’s Parliament – Sandra Wall

Sandra Wall gave an update on the success of the Health & Well Being Agenda organised by the Older People’s Parliament and in partnership with Wirral Council, this was hosted at the Floral Pavilion 26th & 27th May, this two day event had over 60 stalls covering a range of services and activities for older people.  The event was a huge success with over 1000 people visiting over the two days.  The plan will be to host another event in 2012.


Sandra also briefed the forum on the services, improvements and involvement the parliament has on changing policies and practices with other partner organisations for older people.


Key Issues:

  • Bus Shelter issue at hospital
  • Nutrition – elderly and seriously ill patients help with assisting at meal times
  • Dementia – pilot project at hospital for people to assist and held on the ward
  • Comic Relief Funding – working with all GP’s and Carers


Have over 1,000 members and free to join. For more information re: the Parliament and how to join.  Tel: 0151 666 2220, based at 42-44 Market Street, Birkenhead. CH41 5BT



Neighbourhood Plans:


Tracey Smith – gave an update on the development of Neighbourhood Plans – a vision for your community.

  • 11 area forum meetings for Wirral
  • Established in 2001
  • Engage with local residents
  • Since 2003, forums have distributed over £1,470,707 funds to local community and voluntary groups through initiatives such as Funds for You and Big Lunch
  • Next few months each area forum will develop a neighbourhood plan
    • Reflect the real challenges for the area based on engagement and consultation with local communities
    • Set the vision for the community
    • Identify local priorities
    • Influence the way the Council invests resources and delivers services
    • Determine the future distribution of forum funding
  • Community Consultation will be at the core of developing the neighbourhood plans
  • We will engage with local residents and community groups in a number of ways:
    • Community Events
    • Community and residents group meetings
    • One Stop Shops
    • Libraries
    • Leisure Centres
  • Timescales
    • Launch of neighbourhood plan consultation   June 2011
    • Programme of community consultation events  July/Oct 2011
    • Findings to be collated  October
    • Findings reported to area forums and local

action plans  Oct/Nov 2011

    • Local Plans in place  December
  • Funding Available for Forums
    • Empty Shops Fund £17,500
    • Funds for You £15,500
    • Public Health Fund £4,577
    • Community Energy Efficiency Fund (£110,000 across Wirral)
  • Advertisement
    • 1st July to 9th September 2011
  • Other funding available
    • You Decide £20,00 for additional council services
    • Improving Road Safety & Promoting Active Travel and Health £20,000
  • How YOU can get involved
    • Let us know of any community events and meetings we can attend
    • Register your interest



Public Question Time:


Wirral University Teaching Hospital Trust:



Q: What steps have you taken to improve dealing with those patients who have had strokes?

A: Have to reach a certain standard, Time in dealing with stroke patients is vital, we have a 1hr response time, and 24 hour access to the 1 hour imaging. This is 365 days a year.


Comments were made at the forum that people have waited a long time for follow-up/after care and felt this was unacceptable.



Margaret Shaughnessy did advise the forum that an audit is done on every patient and is reported to the national stroke Association, WUTHT has monthly meeting’s and weekly team meetings, also re-evaluate this service on a regular basis.


Margaret Shaughnessy also advised the forum that the trust welcomes and recommends patient feedback about patient journey’s as it helps shape and improve services.  Generally services and care of patients is very good at the hospitals.


Hospital Issues:

Q: Couldn’t get a wheelchair for her husband

A: Staff Reception is open until 10pm and wheelchairs should have been available


Q: If ill in week no problem, if ill at weekend it is a nightmare, what efforts are you making to improve care and attention especially at the weekends.

A: Directors/Associates are looking at working patterns of staff at all hospitals.  Hospital is committed to working 24/7 but working patterns of staff are being reviewed.


Cancelling of Appointments:

Councillor Eddie Boult wanted to raise an issue about cancelling appointments of patients, waiting for a major operation, then re-scheduled and then cancelled further by consultant.  The operation was then put back by 10 weeks, felt frustrated and also concerned to have to wait this length of time.


Margaret Shaughnessy responded - all patients are categorised and consultants will look at patients needs and put them in order of urgency and need.


Improvements to health services:

Margaret Shaughnessy informed the forum that management and clinical staff are working together to improve health services, address issues etc, The Trust is open and honest and we are going through some major changes and difficult times.  Management are active on the ground, we have delivered a number of open days, we take issues to the chair of the organisation, and management have been addressing all issues raised.


Comments made from the floor:

  • Concerns about the Vascular Services and where this service should be
  • Separate Rooms for geriatric/older patients


Margaret Shaughnessy said there are a limited number of rooms to offer at busy times as their treatment is the most important.  Trust is working towards eliminating mixed wards and they are committed to dignity in the future.


Merseyside Police:


Key Points:

  • Burglaries in the local area - CCTV footage identified the culprit and he was arrested - no further burglaries have taken place
  • Cars stolen in the local area – following intelligence received a number of boys fitting the description were arrested.
  • Railway Station CCTV – identified the boys who had stolen laptops, they were from the Liverpool area.  ...  view the full minutes text for item 5.


Date of Future Meetings:


  • John Percival wanted to thank Hoylake Community Centre.  The Sailing School had a major fire and it was able to run its services from the Centre
  • Next area forum is scheduled for 6th October 2011
  • Garry Evans announced that after serving 10 years as a community rep for the West Wirral Area Forum he would like to step down and offer the vacancy to someone new. The Chairman thanked Garry for his services.
  • Area Forum Community Rep vacancies are up for renewal. Anyone interested in becoming a community Rep for the West Wirral Area Forum to contact Tracey Smith 0151 691 8026