Constituency Manager's Report
- Meeting of Special Meeting, Constituency Committee - Birkenhead, Thursday, 3rd November 2016 6.00 p.m. (Item 16.)
- View the background to item 16.
To receive an update in relation to:
Keeping Birkenhead Clean
· Environmental task group update
· Birkenhead in Bloom 2016
· Clean-up programme for 2016
· Food task group update
· Food Hub update
· Christmas hampers
· Holiday food
Road Safety update
· Birkenhead Road Safety Task Group update
The Constituency Manager provided an update on progress of projects funded by budgets devolved to the Birkenhead Constituency Committee. A finance summary sheet for the Birkenhead Constituency Committee budget and expenditure was attached to the report as an appendix.
Also attached to the report were appendices which the Constituency Manager presented to the Committee in relation to updates on Clean-ups, the Food hubs, improving life chances strategy community pilots and the Birkenhead Neighbourhood Engagement.
The Constituency Manager provided further information to the Committee on the following:
Keeping Birkenhead Clean
Birkenhead in Bloom
The Constituency Manager reported that this had been a very successful day with 42 community members, partners and Councillors attending the ceremony; planning would now start for next year’s competition. In total 16 awards were given to Birkenhead with Oxton receiving a trophy.
An in Bloom judge from the competition would be returning to provide feedback and giving communities advice on improvements that could be made in readiness for next year’s competition.
Members praised the work undertaken for the competition and commented that money should allocated to fund next year’s event to allow for further improvement and keep it going.
The Constituency Manager advised that over £8,000 had been used to hire 67 skips for clean ups in a number of areas throughout Birkenhead and that an estimated 70,000 tonnes of rubbish had been removed as a result of the clean-up days.
The Constituency Manager advised that the ‘Community Pay Back’ team had done a lot of work involving cleaning, weeding and painting and that this work would continue in the future.
Skips days had been undertaken following intelligence received from the Fire and Rescue Service and officers were currently reviewing whether to do a further day prior to Bonfire Night.
(1) the awards that had been won for Birkenhead in Bloom be noted and all those involved be congratulated on their achievements and thanked for all their hard work;
(2) the partnership work for clean-up days for the skip fund and the contribution of probation to Birkenhead clean ups and the Committees thanks to all involved be noted.
The Constituency Manager indicated that two coaches to the River of Light Festival had been arranged from Beechwood and St James and Gautby Road Community Centres and spaces were still available for any young person wishing to attend.
That the update on activities to tackle ASB in the area be noted.
The Constituency Manager reported on the activities undertaken at the Beechwood and Beaconsfield Food Hubs.
The Constituency Manager reported on the Christmas Hamper project with 3000 families receiving hampers following referrals to the food hubs. Fareshare and His Church provided the food and Park group provided boxes and cellophane. She asked that if Members or the public present knew of any families in need to inform the Constituency Team who would forward the information on to the appropriate food hub.
(1) the progress of the Birkenhead food hubs; and
(2) the Christmas hamper update be noted.
Improving Life Chances
the Committee were updated on a project undertaken in relation to those children in receipt of free school meals and the activities he had undertaken during the school holidays he had put a bid in for further funding to operate during the Easter holiday period. He had been using a sports mobile unit for the activities but he explained that he would like a van to enable him to provide food to those children in attendance during the activities.
That the updates on Improving Life Chances pilot projects be noted.
- Constituency Manager's Report, item 16. PDF 144 KB
- Enc. 1 for Constituency Manager's Report, item 16. PDF 54 KB
- Enc. 2 for Constituency Manager's Report, item 16. PDF 783 KB
- Enc. 3 for Constituency Manager's Report, item 16. PDF 62 KB
- Enc. 4 for Constituency Manager's Report, item 16. PDF 67 KB
- Enc. 5 for Constituency Manager's Report, item 16. PDF 62 KB