LOCAL CYCLING AND WALKING INFRASTRUCTURE PLAN (LCWIP) - BIRKENHEAD TO NEW BRIGHTON
- Meeting of Economy Regeneration & Housing Committee, Wednesday, 19th October 2022 6.00 p.m. (Item 25.)
- View the background to item 25.
The Lead Commissioner, Strategic Transport Infrastructure, presented the report of the Director of Regeneration and Place. The report provided an update regarding the work undertaken to progress the Liverpool City Region Combined Authority (LCRCA) Birkenhead to New Brighton Local Cycling Walking Infrastructure Plan (LCWIP) project.
Members were informed that their approval was sought to continue to work with the LCRCA to undertake the development of the LCWIP project in two phases;
· LCWIP Phase 1 – Birkenhead to Liscard
· LCWIP Phase 2 – Liscard to New Brighton
Approval was also sought for Wirral Council to undertake consultation and engagement regarding LCWIP Phase 1 in line with the proposed LCWIP Public Consultation and Engagement Strategy.
Members were advised that further reports would be brought back to the Committee for approval prior to the implementation of Phase 1 and Phase 2 of the LCWIP scheme. Other active travel schemes would be subject to separate reporting to this Committee.
A summary of the work currently underway was provided and it was reported that the LCRCA LCWIP had been developed in line with the Department of Transport’s “DfT’s” Cycling and Walking Investment Strategy (2015) and the DfT’s supporting technical guidance document, ‘LCWIP Technical Guidance for Local Authorities’ (2017). The methodology for Phase 1 consultation was contained within the report and detailed in Appendix 5.
In response to concerns raised in respect of the consultation processes, it was confirmed that the consultation would be undertaken by the Council and that it would be wide ranging and would include face-to-face consultation, the ‘have your say portal’ and visual and 3D images. A report on the outcome of the consultation of phase 1 would be brought back to the Committee.
A further discussion was had regarding issues surrounding the consultation process for previous schemes. Members were assured that any lessons learnt from the Phase 1 consultation would influence the consultation process of phase 2. Questions were also raised about the cost and timescales associated with the scheme.
On a motion by Councillor D Mitchell and seconded by Councillor P Martin, it was -
Resolved (7:4) - That
(1) the Director of Regeneration and Place be authorised to:
(a) undertake the further development and consultation of the Birkenhead to New Brighton Local Cycling Walking Infrastructure Plan (“LCWIP”) as 2 separate phases – Phase 1 Birkenhead to Liscard, and Phase 2 Liscard to New Brighton (as set out in Appendix 3 to the report);
(b) consult with the Liverpool City Region Combined Authority and the Chair and Spokespersons of the Economy, Regeneration and Housing Committee and the Environment, Transport and Climate Change Committee, the extent, alignment and design of the Phase 1 Birkenhead to Liscard route, to be the subject of the stakeholder and public consultation.
(c) in consultation with the Chair and Spokespersons of the Economy, Regeneration and Housing Committee and the Environment, Climate Emergency and Transport Committee, the content or timescales of the LCWIP Engagement Strategy be amended prior to implementation if required.
(2) the LCWIP Phase 1 Engagement Strategy (as set out in Appendix 5 of the report) be approved.
- LOCAL CYCLING AND WALKING INFRASTRUCTURE PLAN LCWIP BIRKENHEAD TO NEW BRIGHTON FINAL, item 25. PDF 609 KB
- Appendix 1 Development of LCRCA LCWIP to March 2029 FINAL, item 25. PDF 192 KB
- Appendix 2 DfT LCWIP Process FINAL, item 25. PDF 107 KB
- Appendix 3 - Phase 1 and 2 Extents FINAL, item 25. PDF 368 KB
- Appendix 4 Phase 1 Design review further background FINAL, item 25. PDF 240 KB
- Appendix 5- Consultation and engagement strategy FINAL, item 25. PDF 221 KB