Employment and Appointments Committee
Purpose of committee
EMPLOYMENT AND APPOINTMENTS COMMITTEE
(1) The appointment of Chief Officers and Deputies in accordance with the Employment Procedure Rules.
To recommend to Council on the designation of the Monitoring Officer and the Chief Finance Officer.
To act as the Committee which makes recommendations to Council on the appointment of the Head of Paid Service (Chief Executive).
(2) To hear and determine appeals in connection with disciplinary action or dismissal of Chief and Deputy Chief Officers.
(3) To exercise any of the Council’s functions as an Employer under the Local Government Pension Scheme.
(4) To provide advice, views or recommendations to Full Council on a matter proposing the dismissal of the Head of Paid Service, Monitoring Officer or Chief Finance Officer in accordance with the Local Authorities (Standing Orders) (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2015 (SI 2015/881) or as may be amended from time to time.
(5) To approve, amend and/or revise Council employment/workforce policies and schemes.
(6) To monitor and exercise oversight of workforce performance and management matters.
(7) The Chairperson shall, in consultation with Party Spokespersons and the Head of Human Resources and Organisation Development, have authority to make minor amendments to employment/workforce policies and schemes.
(8) To consider and approve substantive changes to the Council’s senior management structure proposed by the Chief Executive/Head of Paid Services where the overall cost of the restructure can be met from existing approved budgets. Where the overall cost cannot be met from existing approved budgets, the Committee shall make a recommendation to Council as appropriate.
For the avoidance of doubt, Chief Officers are posts are above Spinal Column Point 74 on the Council’s pay scales.
- Councillor Adrian Jones (Chair)
- Councillor Phil Gilchrist (Spokesperson)
- Councillor Lesley Rennie (Spokesperson)
- Councillor Michael Collins
- Councillor Jeff Green
- Councillor Pat Hackett
- Councillor Jennifer Johnson
- Councillor Chris Jones
- Councillor Anita Leech
- Councillor Moira McLaughlin
- Councillor Janette Williamson
- Shirley Hudspeth (Committee Officer)
Support officer: Andrew Mossop. Principal Committee Officer
Phone: 0151 691 8501
Web site: http://www.wirral.gov.uk