Issue - decisions
Approval of Interim findings - Integrated Regeneration Study for Birkenhead and Wirral Waters
The Deputy Chief Executive / Director of Corporate Services submitted a report which presented the findings of the Integrated Regeneration Study for Birkenhead and Wirral Waters (IRS) produced on behalf of the Council by GVA Grimley.
The report set out the background to the study, the preparation process, including stakeholder engagement and the key findings and recommendations. The report also explained how the IRS was an important element of the evidence base for Wirral’s Core Strategy Development Plan Document and outlined how the key findings of the study would inform a series of guiding principles for Wirral Waters which in turn would shape the consideration of Peel’s proposals for Wirral Waters.
An additional recommendation had been circulated to the Cabinet and on a motion by Councillor Hodson, duly seconded, it was –
Resolved - That,
(1) the Integrated Regeneration Study for Birkenhead and Wirral Waters be adopted by the Council as a material planning consideration in relation to development proposals in the vicinity of the study area;
(2) the findings of the Integrated Regeneration Study for Birkenhead and Wirral Waters be used to inform the content of the emerging Core Strategy Development Plan Document;
(3) the thematic relationships table linking the Integrated Regeneration Strategy for Birkenhead and Wirral Waters and the East Float component of Wirral Waters (appended to the report) be used to inform the consideration of the current planning application by Peel holdings and be taken forward alongside the Core Strategy;
(4) a further report be brought back to Cabinet on delivery options In due course;
(5) Cabinet welcomes the Integrated Regeneration Study as providing a context for Wirral Waters, and its integration with Birkenhead, Wallasey and the surrounding areas. Cabinet further notes that if the RSS is abolished there would be a policy vacuum and considers that this study will help inform the Spatial Priorities to be taken forward in the study area and the rest of Wirral.