Agenda and draft minutes
Venue: Committee Room 2 - Wallasey Town Hall. View directions
Contact: Andrew Mossop Principal Committee Officer
Members' Code of Conduct - Declarations of Interest
Members are asked to consider whether they have any disclosable pecuniary and / or any other relevant interest in connection with any of the items on this agenda and, if so, to declare it and state the nature of the interest.
There were no declarations of interests.
To approve the accuracy of the minutes of the meetings held on 5 March, 12 June, 17 July and 23 October, 2019.
Resolved – The minutes of the meetings of Employment and Appointments Committee 5 March 2019, 12 June 2019, 17 July 2019 and 23 October 2019 be approved as true records and signed by the Chairman.
The minutes of the Employment and Appointments Panels’ meetings for the Assistant Director – Community Services, held on 21 January, 26 February and 5 March, 2019, are submitted for information.
The Committee was requested to note the minutes of the Employment and Appointments Panels’ meetings for Assistant Director – Community Services, held on 21 January 2019, 26 February 2019 and 5 March 2019.
Resolved – The minutes of the meetings of the Employment and Appointments Panel held on 21 January 2019, 26 February 2019 and 5 March 2019 be noted.
Exempt Information - Exclusion of Members of the Public
The public may be excluded from the meeting during consideration of the following items of business on the grounds that they involve the likely disclosure of exempt information.
That in accordance with section 100A (4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of the following items of business, on the grounds that they involve the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined by paragraphs 1 and 3 of Part 1 of Schedule 12A to that Act. The public interest test has been applied and favours exclusion.
On a motion by the Chair, duly seconded, it was
Resolved - That, under section 100 (A) (4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of the following item of business on the grounds that it involves the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined by paragraphs 1 and 3 (in that it relates to individual officers and their financial and / or business affairs) of Part I of Schedule 12A (as amended) to that Act.
Chief Officer Structure
The Interim Chief Executive presented the report which set out some proposed changes to the Council’s Chief Officer structure to align with new priorities, create savings and as a first step toward a wider management restructuring.
Members praised the existing Assistant Chief Executive for his knowledge, hard work, dedication and willingness to directly solve problems, and were in favour of internal recruitment initially because of the calibre of the potential internal candidates and the fact that they would have established contacts and trust.
Members requested a directory of services and contacts once the structure was established.
(1) the vacant post of Corporate Director for Economic and Housing Growth be redesignated as Director of Regeneration and Place and graded at Director 1 in the Council’s pay structure.
(2) an appointment process be undertaken to appoint to the post of Director of Regeneration and Place via an internal selection and interview process.
(3) an appointment process be undertaken to appoint to the post of Director of Delivery at its current grade of Director 1 in the Council’s Pay Structure via an internal selection and interview process.
(4) the request for flexible retirement of the current Director of Delivery (and Assistant Chief Executive) be agreed.
(5) the revised Assistant Chief Executive post reports directly to the Chief Executive undertaking the broad range of duties set out in the report.
(6) the vacant post of Director of Business Management be deleted subject to confirmation of the substantive post holder to Chief Executive by Full Council on 9 December 2019.
(7) the secondment of the Assistant Director: Culture and Visitor Economy to the Liverpool City Region for a period of 12 months be agreed and that this post will not be backfilled.
(8) the above referred to appointment processes be made by the full Committee and not by a Panel so as to enable all political parties represented on the Committee to be involved in the appointments.
Following the decision, the Interim Chief Executive spoke to Members about his vision for the Council.